Motoring Community for Northern Minnesota

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Grinding Noise

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fitz

PostSubject: Grinding Noise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 am

I tightened my chain yesterday and ever since there has been this wierd Rythmic grinding noise, I can especially here it when Im slowing down and the Rythm of it seems to slow down and speed up with the bike. I have also kept the chain pretty well lubed up, I thought Question How often should a guy lube the chain.

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 am

It's time for a new chain Fitz. We've seen that one you're running!

Before I replaced mine it was sounding like chattering in the gearbox, but if your chain is worn out it will make noises that changes with speed. Be careful that the chain isn't too tight either, as that can stress the chain even worse. A little too loose is better than too tight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rollaguy33

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:23 am

mine does the same damn thing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay2

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:28 am

Chain is probably shot. I noticed on that ride where we ended up in Solon Springs that you're swingarm might be out of alignment. So even if you align the rear wheel in the swing arm, the chain isn't inline with the front sprocket. This could be causing the grinding also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mnsbr.com
Walley

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am

Your chains gotta go. Get that swing arm right and go get the 520 conversion kit that Jay2 was talking about. I've got it on mine. It's about 150 to 175 for a decent kit that comes with the sprockets and the chain. If you just get a chain your kind of not really solving the problem. Your old ones will have grooves in the gull and( the gull is the valley between the teeth) the new chain will seat into and amplify the grooves quickly. Wether you get stock sprockets or other, theres not really a dif in price. A chain by it-self will only fix the prob for a little while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay2

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 pm

There's also a different way to align a rear wheel. The notches in the slack adjusters are not always right on. I usually run a string around the rear wheel with it just touching the sidewall on each side. I run the strings past the front wheel and anchor them down with something heavy. Then measure the distance on each side of the front wheel to the string and adjust accordingly till each measurement is the same. This way you will get a perfect alignment. If need be, I can post up pics on how to do that. It's way more technical but worth it.

Here's a general pic.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mnsbr.com
Fitz

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:02 am

Yeah if you can post pics of this please do, I want to try to get it done this week. My sprockets are both new at the beginning of the summer, should I still go to a 520

PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   

Back to top Go down

Grinding Noise
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Northland Motoring :: Technicians Corner :: Motorcycle Repair and Maintenence-
Jump to: